May 9, 2016

The First Move

Oh my, it has been quite awhile since I have posted! My last post is right around the time I officially resigned from my teaching job. It was nerve-racking to say the least! We put our home on the market and it sold in 11 days, much sooner than we expected. Our new house, which is also my husband's late grandparents' home, was not move-in ready. We thought we would be able to get it ready in about 3 months time... HA! Let me take you back in time.

February 21, 2015
It was my sister's birthday, but that is not AT ALL what I was thinking about! It was the worst snow, ice, and sleet storm our area had seen that winter. It was also moving day. Luckily my husband has one amazing friend, Steve-O, who is always there for him (us) when needed. Through everything, including our first date and wedding, he has been there. Also, my husband's brother and our sister in law (Derek and Amber), despite having three children of their own, were also there to help out. We would find that they were some of the only people who would come through for us during this entire process. I am so grateful for their kindness, hospitality, and helpfulness through everything. Amber came over and help me throw our few remaining belonging into whatever boxes they would fit into.

Derek, Steve, and Brandon began loading up 2 trucks and a van to make the 30+ minute trip back and forth. Meanwhile, the skies began to open and sleet began to fall. Once finished, Amber and I took my then 10 month old and 3 year old, buckled them in tight, and headed out to brave the sketchy streets to her house. We drove toward the highway only to find it grid-locked with cars backed up for miles. So, we turned around and made our way on slippery and windy back roads. We made it safely. All the while the men were still moving everything out to the new house. Finally, when all was moved we were all safe back at Derek and Amber's house we could relax a bit. The kids were getting tired and our 10 month old started to cry for a bottle. My heart sank. I had stopped nursing here around 7 months because due to work I had stopped producing any milk. So there we were, with a baby crying for a bottle, and we had none. I had packed the bottle and formula in a box that somehow made its way to the new house. Amber did not have any bottles on hand because she nursed her son like a BOSS until well over a year.

It ended up being a very long night and a very long year ahead that no one involved was prepared for!

In my next post, I will provide some moving tips that helped the packing and unpacking process go smoothly as well as some common moving mistakes to avoid. Did you read the part about throwing everything into boxes at the last minute? Don't do that...

Until next time ~ God Bless.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment